Emeute à Baramulla – 9 novembre 2010

Youth injured in Baramulla firing



Srinagar, Nov 9: Normal life resumed in the entire valley on Tuesday after three days of strike even as clashes broke out in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town against the arrest of a youth. One youth was injured in police firing on protestors.

Clashes broke out in Baramulla against the arrest of a youth. Eyewitnesses said the situation took an ugly turn when people blocked the road and pelted stones on police and paramilitary CRPF near Cement Bridge.

They identified the detained person as Pervez Ahmad Kaloo, a resident of cement bridge Baramulla.

“Early morning the police donned in civvies arrested him near the local hospital. And later they whisked him away,” an eyewitness said.

Soon after his arrest, people took to roads and demanded his release. They blocked the road and started pelting stones on police. The police swung into action and fired tear gas shells and opened fire on the protestors in which a person got injured.

The injured has been identified as Bilal Ahmad Bhat son of Ghulam Rasool resident of Zainakadal, Srinagar. Bhat is a shawl vendor. He was rushed to Baramulla district hospital from where he was shifted to SKIMS Srinagar.

Medical Superintendent SKIMS, Syed Tabish, said Bilal has received a bullet injury in his buttock. “The adjacent pelvic bone is also injured,” he said. “We are operating upon him.” Kashmir Valley has been in the grip of protests, strikes and curfew since June when a 17-year-old boy was killed by a tear smoke shell fired by police in Rajouri Kadal area of the city.


A police spokesman said two people including a cop and a youth were injured during the violent incident at Baramulla. “In the afternoon some miscreants surfaced at cement bridge Baramulla and attempted to disrupt peace by resorting to heavy stone pelting on police. They also blocked the main road leading to Baramulla,” the spokesman said.

He said there were no curfew restrictions across Kashmir valley on Tuesday.

Elsewhere in the valley, as the morning broke, the markets were abuzz with activity. Shops, business establishments, offices, banks and other institutions opened. Public and private transport also plied on the roads. The traffic rush created trouble for people as roads remained jammed at major junctions of Srinagar city throughout the day.

The life has come to normal after Hurriyat (G) had asked people to observe ‘civil curfew’ for 3 days (Nov 6-8) to draw the attention of the US President Barack Obama towards Kashmir issue during his India visit.

Similar reports of people resuming their normal activities were received from different districts of Kashmir valley.

Clashes, Firing Rock Baramulla After Arrest


Srinagar, Nov 09, KONS:  Violence flared up in the northern township of Baramulla during protests against the arrest of a local youth, and one person received gunshot wounds as the forces sought to quell stone-pelting with tear-gas and firing, while 15 others were injured in the prolonged clashes.

Kashmir elsewhere witnessed a resumption of everyday business during a break in hartal granted by Syed Ali Shah Geelani after three days of civil curfew.

The proceedings of a hectic day, however, where disrupted in Baramulla at around noon when the police arrested one  Parvez Ahmad Kaloo on the Hospital Road, on charges of having been involved in stone-pelting.

Within moments, the entire town was ringing out with announcements over mosque loudspeakers to close down shops and pull transport off the roads.

Hundreds of men and women took to the streets and marched in a procession chanting freedom slogans and demanding Kaloo’s release.

The forces deployed on the streets blocked the marchers and  asked them to disperse, but the latter held their ground chanting slogans to demand the youth’s release.

In the meantime groups of youth emerged from the Azad Gunj area  and began pelting stones at open shops, traffic and the forces.

As the police and the paramilitary men retaliated with cane-charges and tear gas, the violence spread to other areas, and soon hundreds of youth were milling in the streets attacking the forces with stones.

In the main square, a mob caught hold of a police sub-inspector and gave him a severe beating, and he had to be taken to the military hospital for the injuries received in the attack.

With the situation spiralling out of control, the forces supplemented tear gassing with firing, and a street vendor, Bilal Ahmad Bhat of Srinagar, sustained serious bullet injuries.

Doctors at the district hospital referred him to the SKIMS in Soura because of his serious condition.

Two persons were injured on being hit by tear gas shells, and had to be hospitalised.

The situation in the town was tense when reports last came in, and street battles were on near Azad Gunj, Cement Bridge and the SRTC Bridge.

The inspector general of police (IGP) for Kashmir, SM Sahai, said that the arrested youth, also known as Meenu Kumari, had been involved in several incidents of stone-pelting  in the town and was on the wanted list.

The IGP said that some mischievous elements had tried to disrupt law and order at his arrest, but the situation had been brought under control.

Meanwhile, a group styling itself as the Sangbaaz Association (stone-pelters association) has threatened not to allow shops to open in the town and traffic to ply until Kaloo was released.

The police arrested two more persons, identified as Ashfaq Ahmad Dar and Abdul Rauf Pandit, in Handwara and Langate respectively.

The locals held protests and dharnas against the arrests, saying that those picked up by the police were mere students.

Kashmir Valley: Three Injured in Clashes.com


Srinagar | Nov 09, 2010

At least three persons, including a policeman were injured in clashes between protesters and law enforcing agencies in Baramulla district of north Kashmir today, officials said.

The clashes erupted at Cement Bridge in the town, 55 kms from here, on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road after police dressed in civvies allegedly arrested a youth on charges of stone-pelting, they said.

One of the injured, identified as Bilal Ahmad was rushed to Srinagar for treatment, they added.

Protesting the arrest of Pervaiz Ahmad, irate residents poured on the road to press for his release, the officials said, adding, they indulged in stone-pelting on the security forces, who retaliated by firing teargas shells and using batons.

« Security forces exercised maximum restraint while dealing with the stone-pelting protesters to avoid casualities, » a police spokesman said.

Warning shots were also fired by the policemen to bring the situation under control, he said.

Normal activities came to a standstill in the town as a result of the clashes which continued throughout the day.

~ par Alain Bertho sur 10 novembre 2010.

Votre commentaire

Entrez vos coordonnées ci-dessous ou cliquez sur une icône pour vous connecter:

Logo WordPress.com

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte WordPress.com. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Google

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Google. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Image Twitter

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Twitter. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Facebook

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Facebook. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Connexion à %s

%d blogueurs aiment cette page :