Football : affrontements à Durban – juin 2010

Riot Police End Workers’ Protest at Durban Stadium

June 14, 2010


DURBAN, South Africa — A World Cup Sunday that began at the soaring new arch of Durban Stadium ended in smoke and shrieks as police officers fired tear gas and what witnesses said were rubber bullets to break up a large group of protesting security guards.

The altercation started shortly before 1 a.m. Monday, a few hours after the match between Germany and Australia ended. It began in the parking area underneath the stadium, where some administrative offices are located. It soon spilled into the streets outside as several hundred panicked protesters sprinted away as about 40 police officers advanced toward them on foot.

It was the first black mark during this World Cup, which has generated positive energy and reviews since it began on Friday.

Several of the guards said they and their colleagues were upset at being underpaid or, in some cases, not being paid for their work Sunday, the first day of competition in Durban.

“They’re giving us 205 rand; we started at 12 noon and worked until midnight, and they want to give us 205 rand,” said Sikhumbuzo Mnisi, a 44-year-old from Durban.

At current exchange rates, 205 rand is about $27. “Different things have been said to people, but we were promised 1,500 rand per day,” Mnisi said. “We started to protest because we wanted to negotiate.”

Mnisi said the crowd of workers became unruly and started throwing things like plastic bottles.

At least two workers were injured during the altercation with the police; the workers said they had been struck by rubber bullets.

Cynthia Bhengu had blood streaming down her face as she sat roadside waiting for an ambulance at almost 2 a.m.

“The police shot my wife in the face,” said her husband, Falakhe Bhengu, who said that he was a security supervisor.

“It was supposed to be 1,500 rand for supervisors and 1,000 for everybody else, and they gave us 190,” he said of the security company. “If you asked too many questions, they wanted to hit you.”

Nkosingiphine Maphumulo, a 23-year-old, said he had signed a three-month contract but only worked three days so far and had yet to be paid.

“Everyone was excited at first, but I think this World Cup is going too far,” Maphumulo said. “We don’t even have a cent to pay our expenses. We are losing money, because I paid for transport to get here.”

Rich Mkhondo, head of communications for the local World Cup organizing committee, said the protest did not have any impact on security at the match or any spectators.

“Two hours after the end of the first match at the Durban Stadium last night, there was an internal pay dispute between the principal security company employed by the organizing committee and some of the static security stewards employed by the company at the match,” Mkhondo said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press. “Police were called on to disperse the protesting stewards.

“This happened, however, long after all spectators had left the stadium after the match, and the incident had no impact whatsoever on the match day security operations.

“The organizing committee will engage with its stadium security provider to avoid a repeat of the situation during the course of the tournament.”

Riot police break up World Cup wages demonstration


13 06 2010

DURBAN, South Africa — Armed riot police charged into hundreds of stewards at a World Cup stadium in the early hours of Monday morning to break up a protest about low wages.

Police appeared to set off two percussive grenades, causing loud bangs, to drive the protesters out of a parking lot under the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban hours after Germany beat Australia 4-0 in Group D.

There was no immediate word of any injuries or arrests at the protest.

Associated Press reporters saw about 30 riot police charge into the crowd to drive it out of the stadium. While calm quickly returned to the stadium, some of the security stewards, wearing orange and green jackets, continued milling around outside.

An AP photographer said police fired tear gas at protesters outside the stadium. A nearby street was littered with trash where the protesters were forced away.

Police were called to the scene after hundreds of angry stewards gathered to complain about their wages.

« We left our homes at seven in the morning and now it is nearly 1 o’clock, » said Vincent Mkize. « In the dry run, they didn’t want to tell us how much we would get. »

Another of the stewards, Fanak Falakhebuengu, told the AP he had heard they would be paid 1,500 rand ($195) a day but were only getting 190 rand ($25).

« They were supposed to give us 1,500, that’s what FIFA told us and they gave us 190. We are working from 12 o’clock until now, » said another man who asked not to be named. He ran from police before he could give his name.

FIFA did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment. The police command set up in Johannesburg for World Cup-related matters had not received an official report.

World Cup stewards in Durban clash with police over pay


13 06 2010

South African riot police in Durban have fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of security stewards protesting over alleged pay cuts.

The clash took place in a carpark at the city’s Moses Mabhida stadium shortly after it hosted a match between Australia and Germany.

The stewards said they were being paid only 190 rand (£17; $25) a day, although they had been promised more.

Reports say one woman was injured and at least two people were arrested.

It was not immediately clear how much the stewards were supposed to have been paid according to their contracts.

So far there, have been no public comments on the incident from South Africa’s World Cup organising committee or Fifa.

Riots at World cup stadium, explosions heard

13 06 2010

Durban, South Africa.

Earlier today Germany played Australia at the Moses Mabhida Durban stadium but early Monday morning has seen riots and turned the area into utter chaos.

Riot police have dispersed HUNDREDS of protesters outside Moses Mabhida Durban Stadium, hours after Germany vs. Australia which ended in 4 – 0. Hundreds of stewards at Durban Stadium are protesting, saying they were getting not enough payment for their work from stadium owners.

Police have fired back with stun grenades and media has been forced to stay in their media center. The stun grenade explosions rocked the area, making people fear it could be a terrorist attack. However, it is not.

It was not immediately clear if there were any injuries or fatalities from the incident, and confirmed information was sparse. The incident began just before 1 a.m. local time. It is also not clear yet if any people have been arrested.

The stadium has a planned capacity of 70,000 during the World cup and 54,000 afterwards.

~ par Alain Bertho sur 14 juin 2010.

Une Réponse to “Football : affrontements à Durban – juin 2010”

  1. Hi, great post you have! I like reading it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Keep up the good work!

Votre commentaire

Entrez vos coordonnées ci-dessous ou cliquez sur une icône pour vous connecter:


Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Google

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Google. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Image Twitter

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Twitter. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Facebook

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Facebook. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Connexion à %s

%d blogueurs aiment cette page :